Attractions in Skagen
Constructed in the second half of the 14th century, Saint Laurence church was the biggest church in the region at the time. By the beginning of the 1600s, sand drifts began to slowly encroach upon the area around the church, finally reaching it in the 18th century. In order to attend service, the congregation were forced to dig their way to the church. As this task became increasingly impossible, the church was finally abandoned in 1795. Today only the church tower is visible.