The park layout is mainly due to the efforts of Holger Christian Reedtz, the Danish diplomat who was Lord of the manor in 1835-57. In 1850-51, he was the Foreign Minister of Denmark and played a part when peace was declared between Denmark and the German Confederation after the Three Year's Schleswig war.
Holger Reedtz took home many rare trees and plants which can still be seen in the park.
There is public access to the park from 8 a.m. until sunset. Of approximately 52 acres, the park is one of Denmark's largest manor parks.